A young woman leans against a tree at The Hermitage in 1938. Others admire the home of former president Andrew Jackson in that time period. The home of Andrew Jackson, now a public museum, is 11 miles east of Nashville. Andrew Jackson bought the Hermitage farm in 1804, and it was his home for the remainder of his life. The Jacksons had lived on two other Davidson County farms: Poplar Grove in present-day Hadley’s Bend and, due north of the Hermitage on the Cumberland River, Hunter’s Hill, a well-developed property that had to be sold to meet outstanding debts. When the Jacksons moved to the Hermitage, it comprised only 425 acres with a cluster of assorted log buildings for housing and storage. For the next 17 years the Jackson family received visitors as distinguished as President James Monroe in these simple accommodations. PHOTO COURTESY Tennessee State Library and Archives.