Metro-Nashville police chased a suspect on McGavock Pike in Donelson on Oct. 2, and officers recovered a gun from a teen. 

A Nashville teenager who was mistakenly released from jail after police ordered him to remain on suspicion of a stranger aggravated robbery and aggravated kidnapping case was arrested after Juvenile Crime Task Force officers caught him during a foot chase. A pistol was also recovered in Donelson.

According to police, the case originated Sept. 11 when officers charged Michael Ferrell, 18, with auto theft, evading arrest and driving on a suspended driver’s license. 

According to a police report, while in custody, he was also charged, based on fingerprint evidence, with the June 28 kidnapping and robbery of a 50-year-old East Nashville woman on Pennock Avenue.  

Ferrell was 17 when the robbery and kidnapping took place, and those charges were filed in juvenile court, according to the report. A juvenile court referee ordered Ferrell stay in custody. However, Ferrell was released about Sept. 18 after the vehicle theft and driving on a suspended driver’s license charges were dismissed, and he received probation on the evading arrest charge.

Police said juvenile court officials discovered his release last week, and Juvenile Crime Task Force was asked to look for him, according to police.

Officers near Brick Church Pike and Ewing Drive saw Ferrell on Oct. 2 as a passenger in a Dodge Ram with a West Virginia license plate and chased the truck.

The chase ended on McGavock Pike near McGavock High School when Ferrell bailed from the truck and ran on foot. Officers chased and caught Ferrell. A loaded Glock .9 mm pistol was found, along Ferrell’s flight path, police said.

Police later found the pickup truck on Briley Parkway near Two Rivers Parkway. It was a rental.

According to the report, in the June kidnapping-robbery case, Ferrell was accused as one of two suspects who forced a victim at gunpoint into the back seat of her car on Penhook Avenue. One sat with her while the other suspect drove to her bank and withdrew money from an ATM. After they left the bank, the two suspects bailed from the car while it was still moving on Meridian Street. She used the emergency brake to stop her vehicle and then asked a nearby resident to call police.

Recommended for you